Friday, July 25, 2008

John Guide

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, and I am lucky if the flash goes off in my camera. But I appreciate beautiful things and I appreciate people who make beautiful things. I also have utmost respect for people who go beyond their comfort level for whatever reason, whether it's to teach others, or just experience for themselves.

John Guider is one of those. And award winning renown photographer (commercial and artistic) he could have sat on his laurels and his air conditioned studio and continued to crank out beautiful images of people and places. Instead into his fifth decade of life, he got into his canoe on the Spence Creek, behind his historic farm house in Williamson County. With his first paddle he set off on a three month journey that ended up on the banks of the Mississippi in New Orleans.

Now you have to realize John was by himself, and HAD NEVER CANOED. This was not for the faint of heart. His remarkable images not only capture humanity but capture a way of life, that is in danger of dying. "The River" will debut in October at the Tennessee State Museum.

I wanted to find out what motivated John. I found him to be one of the most delightful, unassuming and charming people I have ever met. A true artist, adventurer and renaissance man.



No comments: